Fairmount, Indiana boasts a couple famous Indiana natives. In addition to its most well-known son, movie-star James Dean, Fairmount is also the hometown of Jim Davis, creator of the comic strip Garfield. And Jim Davis’ and Garfield’s presence continues to be felt from Fairmount, Indiana and the surrounding cities of Marion, Gas City, and Upland, Indiana, as well as throughout east central Indiana with Grant County’s Garfield Trail.
From Fairmount, Indiana to Upland, Indiana: Drive the Garfield Trail
Visit fourteen unique statues of America’s favorite lasagna-loving fat cat, Garfield. Located in Marion, Indiana and surrounding Grant County cities, the fiberglass statues each measure approximately five feet in height and depict Jim Davis’s Garfield in fun outfits or playful situations. Taking a trip along the Garfield trail is a great family activity and presents a number of fun photo opportunities. Share your Garfield encounters using #followthefatcat!
If You Visit the Garfield Trail in Fairmount, Indiana and surrounding cities:
- Dates and Hours: The Garfield Trail, featuring statues of Jim Davis’s most famous cartoon character, Garfield the cat, is available year round.
- Things to Bring: Camera, cell phone to check in on Foursquare, sunscreen, clothes appropriate for the weather, friends and family.
- Other Family-Friendly Attractions along the Garfield Trail: Splash House Water Park, Fairmount Museum, Ivanhoe’s Restaurant. More dining options are available throughout Grant County along the Garfield Trail.
- Cell Phone Tour: Learn more about Jim Davis’s Garfield, Fairmount, Indiana and other surrounding communities by taking the Garfield Trail cell phone tour. Call (765) 997-7034 from each statue for interesting commentary and information on nearby attractions.
- Marion’s Garfield Trail Trailhead
- Matthews Town Hall
- Van Buren Public Library
- Gas City – Mill Township Public Library
- Jonesboro City Hall
- Marion General Hospital
- Marion Public Library & Museum
- Matter Park
- Payne’s Restaurant
- Swayzee Alumni Park