Experience the Cornfield Classic and the Jonesboro River Rally in Grant County, Indiana
Harley-Davidson, America’s favorite motorcycle first earned the nickname “hog” after the winners of the 1920 Marion International Motorcycle Race took their victory lap with their team mascot, a pig. Now, over one hundred years later, experience this classic and cool ride for yourself.
Cornfield Classic, Annually in early June
Motorcycle rallies aren’t usually considered a sign of a rich history, but in the case of East Central, Indiana, the Cornfield Classic (most recently called Hog Daze Motorcycle Rally) celebrates the time and place that a Harley was first called a “hog.” In 1920, “The Hog Boys” team earned their nickname when they celebrated their victory in the 1920 Marion (Indiana) International Motorcycle Race by riding with a pig around the Cornfield Classic track. The hog moniker stuck. The original Hog Boys’ route to victory is celebrated annually at the Cornfield Classic.
- Event location: when we say “cornfield,” we mean the original route, along county roads, where the cornfields grow in Indiana. Those roads include Alabama Avenue, 38th Street, Troy Avenue and County Road 412.
- Event Dates: early June
- Host: The Indiana Motorcycle Preservation Society
Jonesboro River Rally, Annually in September
Downtown Jonesboro, Indiana plays host to the area’s largest motorcycle rally, the annual Jonesboro River Rally. Hundreds of bikers experience spectacular live entertainment, trick riders, fun events, and great food. The event is held the same weekend as the Remembering James Dean Festival, and The Ducktail Run Car Show is happening at the same time, just across the river in Gas City, Indiana. Great 50’s fun during a James Dean weekend in Grant County! This is a unique biker rally that all riders are sure to enjoy.
If You Go To Jonesboro River Rally
- Event location: In downtown Jonesboro, Indiana along the Mississinewa River, just west of Gas City, Indiana.
- Event Dates: Held annually in September during James Dean weekend, the last full weekend of the month.
- Sponsor: Jonesboro’s motorcycle rally is sponsored by Ride & Leather, a local retailer featuring custom motorcycle gear.
- Cornfield Classic (most recently called “Hog Daze”)
- Jonesboro River Rally